1. A sample of methane gas with a known volume diffuses through a small pinhole in 16 seconds.
Another sample of gas X with an unknown volume diffuses via the same route in 8 seconds. What
is the molecular weight of gas X?
2. What is the percent composition of NO2 ?
(Atomic weights: N=14; O=16 )
A. 7.5% N and 92.5% O
B. 12.5% N and 87.5% O
C. 20% N and 80% O
D. 30.5% N and 69.5% O
E. 33.3% N and 66.6% O
Answers: 1.B, 2.D
Please note that this sample is not meant to represent every question type that you will encounter on
the exam. It is meant to give you a general idea of what the Chemistry questions are like.
Test Prep Strategies
- Study during high school! Nearly everything you need to know for the Chemistry subject test is covered in your chemistry classes in high school, so make sure you pay attention!
- Find out what you don't know! In order to get the most out of your test prep time, take a level test and focus on the areas that you are less familiar with.
- While you are doing practice tests, keep time! This will improve your time management skills.
- Get used to doing calculations without a calculator! You can't use it during the exam, so it is important that you know how to do calculations by hand.
- Know your lab equipment! There are some questions on the exam that will test your knowledge of the equipment that is commonly used in a chemistry lab, so make sure you know the the names of each piece of equipment, as well as what it does.